Wednesday 24 September 2014

School Holiday Fun

Well Term 3 here in NSW has drawn to a close and we are in school holiday swing now! I love school holidays for the simple fact that we all get to wind down, re-charge and most importantly spend more time together as a family.

Many of my students' parents dread the school holidays simply because they get the constant 'I'm bored' statement countless times a day! So I decided to share my go to idea for school holidays.

Way back when I first starting teaching in the mainstream classroom I always revelled in the school holidays for the obvious reasons but also because it meant I could create a to-do list (oh how I love my lists! I am definitely a list kinda gal!) of all the things I wanted to achieve over the break. More often than not my list was longer than I care to share but it didn't matter so long as I had a list to refer back to all was good in the world! My list had everything and anything on it from what I wanted to organise, re-organise, clean, create, visit, bake, sew, garden and the list goes on :)

Like I said I have done this to-do list business for years but little did I know that great mummy bloggers out there do the same thing and call it many different names! Whatever you call it doesn't matter all that matters is that you create one! With the kiddies of course!
I have done these to-do/bucket lists back when I was teaching in the classroom to tutoring my students and even now with my own little man. Of course I adapted and changed them accordingly each term/holiday/season.

Now that I have been blessed with my own little boy I get even more excited to create these lists of things I want to do together and let me tell you my list sometimes seems endless! Haha One thing I am doing a little differently since having my little man is break my list into the four seasons. For example right now I have a Spring Bucket List of all the activities and adventures I want to share with him this Spring. Obviously he is too little to sit and brainstorm ideas with but he doesn't need to worry because his mamma has a list all ready to go!

So in a nutshell to prevent the 'I'm bored' statements even surfacing create a bucket list of things to do over the holidays. Sit with the kids, get a large sheet of poster board/paper, coloured textas/crayons, put your thinking caps on and start brainstorming all the things you and the kids want to do together over this two week break. Write down everything no matter how big or small. Obviously they need to be realistic ideas that can be achieved but let the kids go with their imagination, add ol'skool activities, indoor and outdoor ones....have fun with it!
Then as you complete each activity tick it off the bucket list and every time the kids come to you complaining they are bored send them to the list and let them pick something to do. You may or may not achieve every single item on the list but that doesn't matter! Make the list a tradition, maybe do it each Summer holidays like the inspirational Erin@SunnySideUp or do it each holiday break that we get here in gorgeous Australia! I can assure you that once you start this list of sorts with your kids they will be reminding you to do it again and again each break you get!

Jump on my Pinterest page to get some cute and creative Bucket List ideas.

Our Spring Bucket List so far.....got my inspiration for this layout from Erin!


Ticking off each activity as we do them.....even though some are ticked off we will still do them time and time again during Spring. An example of this is gardening, we have spent numerous hours in the sunshine getting dirty and messy in our garden!

We currently have it posted to the wall of our Playroom!







No comments:

Post a Comment